Following successful testing in multiple countries, Instagram have recently introduced Reels Ads globally. This is exciting news for brands and creators as it provides greater brand exposure to new audiences, and benefits users by providing the opportunity to engage with new content.
Recognising that Instagram has evolved beyond a photo-sharing app, and needs to remain relevant and competitive with the likes of TikTok and YouTube, Reels were introduced in late 2020, giving users a new way to create and discover short, entertaining video content on the platform.
Reels allows users to record and edit 15-second multi-clip videos with audio, effects and creative tools. Users can then share these videos on their feed, stories, or in a direct message and make them available to the wider community in Explore – offering anyone the chance to reach new audiences on a global scale.
Reels Ads will appear between individual Reels, full screen and vertical in a similar format to Stories. Users will be able to comment, view, save, like and share the ads.
Ads can be applied to all of the most popular places for viewers to access Reels content – tab, Stories, Explore and users Feeds. If it’s a space where users are consuming short-form video, it’s a space for your new Reels Ads!
Instagram Chief Operating Officer, Justin Osofsky says “Reels are a great way for people to discover new content, so ads are a natural fit. Brands of all sizes can take advantage of this new creative format in an environment where people are already being entertained.”
As a marketer, what can you be doing to create engaging, appealing Reels ads? Here’s a few tips to consider:
- Attention on social media is fleeting – create ads that capture attention immediately, and keep it short and sweet!
- Consider adding motion to enhance your ads and catch the eye
- Avoid cluttering the screen with too much information
- Avoid the risk of odd cropping or zooming when repurposing content, by creating something fresh and fit for Reels specs
- Remember to keep your objective in mind – if you’re wanting the user to take an action consider placing this key message at the start of the ad
For more information on how to incorporate Reels Ads into your social strategy, reach out to our team today – we’d love to hear from you.
Sources: Instagram Business Announcement 2021, Social Media Knowledge Digital News 2021.